Sunday, January 24, 2010

Casting On...



Couldn't resist the dorky knitting title, sorry.

Alright, I'm jumping in. Not sure exactly where this is going to go, but we'll see. There are so many knitting blogs out there written by people who design and sell patterns, and who seem to know all there is to know about knitting. That's great, and I enjoy reading them, but I'm gonna go ahead and bring it down to my level, taking adventures and learning new skills. I'll share my confusion, difficulties, and my triumphs.

I've gotten back into knitting recently, making several hats over winter break (I love that I still have a winter break!), and wanting to try out some patterns that are new and possibly more difficult for me. I've known how to knit for six years, but haven't really become much more advanced. I've started reading some knitting blogs, joined Ravelry, and finally visited my local yarn store (LYS) yesterday. I also recently watched the movie Julie & Julia, so naturally, I've turned to blogging.

Yesterday, I knitted up something I had never tried before: fingerless gloves! OK, so I made the one for the right hand, and I plan to do the left hand while "watching" the Saints playoff game today. Finished images to come later. It was good to try something new, and I had wanted to make fingerless gloves for a while now. I certainly had some frustrating moments (why does my brain work so differently from those of the pattern-writers?), and I'm pretty sure I actually found a mistake in the pattern, but I was pretty proud in the end (well, the end of the right hand glove). I'm not totally in love with the glove itself, but I feel like I made progress for my future knitting, and I can see where I might make some changes.

That's enough for now. Much more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment