Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Gift for Myself, From Myself


I visited Quarter Stitch (on Chartres Street in the French Quarter) yesterday, and that is how the woman who helped me described my purchase: a gift for myself, from myself. That is why they wrap up your yarn in such a way- so you can open up the gift to yourself! Not exactly eco-friendly, but certainly beautiful and fun.

The store itself is pretty tiny, but it just looks like a yarn wonderland when you walk in, which is what I love! They do not have a huge selection of really basic yarns, but I suppose that's not why I went there. They had a pretty nice selection of Malabrigo, which is a major reason I made the "trek" (read: went through the bother of paying to park) to the Quarter. I got one hank of an earthy, maroon-ish red (probably American Beauty, 502- there were no labels), and one hank of black in worsted weight. I see a few lovely hats and other small projects in my future. (As well as many trips back to the Quarter.)

Here is my wonderful, supportive fiance helping me wind the American Beauty:
I also bought two hanks of Malabrigo Aquarella ("watercolor"). Again, no labels, so I don't know what the colorway is called, but it combines greens, blues, and purples, which are the colors to which I'm always drawn (maybe Indy- 16). It's super bulky, but varies in thickness. I plan to make a scarf (eventually) for myself by using seed stitch. The woman who helped me (the owner?) "designed" that pattern, and there were several samples knitted up.


I love it! Good shopping trip.

I'm knitting up a few little gifts right now. Pictures posted when they're finished/sent off.

No comments:

Post a Comment